Sunday, February 10, 2008

Because Of Winn-Dixie

Title: Because of Winn-Dixie
Author: DiCamillo, Kate
Publisher and Date: Candlewick Press, 2000
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Age Range: 3rd and up
2001 Newberry Honor Book



I absolutely loved this book! I’m a big dog person so this book really appealed to me in an extra way. The only drawback that I experienced while reading this book was that I had unfortunately seen the movie before reading the book. I always hate to do that because the movie influences my perception of the story. I tried to be as objective as I could and I thoroughly enjoyed the story in book and movie format.




Before I share some of my favorite parts of the story I wanted to discuss Langer’s four stances for readers. The first is “being out and stepping in.” In this step the reader makes predictions about the story based on the cover or book jacket. Judging from the cover of Because of Winn- Dixie I assumed that the story would have something to do with a girl and her dog. The second stance is “being in and moving through.” In this stance the reader focuses mainly on the characters and plot. Because of Winn- Dixie is a unique story about a girl and her dog and how they bring out the best in each other. The setting is in the small rural town of Naomi, Florida. The third stance is “being in and stepping out.” In this stance the reader uses the text as a springboard to discuss and think about broader global issues. Some issues that I think were raised in Because of Winn- Dixie were the pain and abandonment often felt by children in single parent homes, the difficulty of raising a child in a single family home, and the benefit of having a pet. The fourth and final stance is “stepping out and objectifying the experience.” In this stance the reader distances themselves from the story the text tells and talks about the work as a whole and what they notice or what it reminds them of. Because of Winn- Dixie reminded me of some other great stories that I have had the privilege of reading over the years. One of these is Old Yeller. Old Yeller is another classic dog story in which the dog becomes inseparable to main character (Travis Coates) and his family. Old Yeller like Winn- Dixie was a beneficial and integral part of the family. They all loved him.




This book had so many positive aspects to it. It did such a great job of instilling moral values without being pushy or without even outright trying to. One of the first and most valuable lessons the book taught was acceptance. This is first evidenced in the opening chapter of the book when Opal and Winn-Dixie first meet. Opal describes Winn-Dixie as “big, but skinny; you could see his ribs. And there were bald patches all over him, places where he didn’t have any fur at all. Mostly, he looked like a big piece of old brown carpet that had been left out in the rain.” She goes on to say however that, “He was an ugly dog, but already, I loved him with all my heart. The theme of acceptance runs throughout the book. It is extended to dogs, the elderly, the “bald headed babies” (the Dewberry boys), the outsiders (Amanda and Sweetie Pie), her distracted father, and even the misunderstood (Otis). This book shows that everyone deserves a chance and everyone has something to offer. Another more subtle lesson is that of abandonment and the trials of growing up without a parent (or in Winn-Dixie’s case without both). I think it is great that Kate touched on this sometimes sensitive subject. It is very hard to grow up in a single parent home; Opal had to learn to be a helper and do things on her own. She was so happy when she found Winn-Dixie because he became her constant companion; he could relate to her and now she never had to be alone. Another great theme interwoven into both the theme of abandonment and acceptance is that of friendship. Opal needed friendship to help her survive and thrive and she offered her friendship to all regardless of societal norms. It is always great to have friends whether they come in the form of dogs, twins, or funny African American women. Everyone needs them!




One of my favorite passages in the book is right near the end of the book when Opal and the “preacher” return from looking for Winn-Dixie. When they discover that Winn-Dixie was never really gone at all and that they can all just relax, sing, and enjoy each other’s company. I love this part of the book because these are all people that Opal and Winn-Dixie have brought together and the reader just silently celebrates that Winn-Dixie and Opal are reunited and can share this moment together.




All in all I loved this book and cannot say enough good things about it! It is a must read for my classroom one day! Opal is such a lovely dynamic character that the reader cannot help wishing that they could be her friend, and the small town setting adds to the welcoming effect that just draws the reader in and makes them feel comfortable. And if that is not enough I have two dogs and they were both strays so of course I’m going to love a story about a stray dog. It is a wonderful story that I look forward to sharing with others one day!

No comments: